Ice in Houston?

Kaia received a book from her Uncle Stuart for Christmas called Bartholomew and the Oobleck (by Dr. Seuss).  The story begins with the King of Didd getting angry with the sky because it only drops the same four things -- rain, snow, fog, and sunshine -- on his kingdom.  Usually, as we read it, one of us will call the king "silly" for being mad at the sky.  Today, I think I understand the king.





We moved to Houston in August, 2007.  Our winter clothes were in boxes, and they didn't come out of boxes until three days ago.  During our first two winters, we would sometimes leave home in the morning with a light weight jacket on, knowing that when we returned in the afternoon we wouldn't want to wear it.  Normally, there are only 2 1/2 months out of the whole year when the LOW for the day is below 50 degrees.  Even in the winter, by noon the temperatures are close to 50.  Suddenly, we are feeling the blunt end of an arctic front that somehow has managed to reach the gulf!  We actually had a "hard freeze" warning issued for today!  I watched out neighbors dump water on their windshield to try to get through the ice!  There was even some discussion about closing the schools to ease up on the electric grid (of course, that wouldn't actually happen in our district!).  Our temperatures haven't risen above freezing since yesterday afternoon...and they aren't projected to until tomorrow afternoon!



I was going to take Kaia to the zoo on Saturday so Jon could do some more painting, but in this weather...uh, NO!  I'm thinking the library sounds more pleasant.  Maybe the mall--we could go play on some of those germ-covered toys.

I know most of my family lives in nice, cold climate places that regularly have winter.  I hate to say it, but I am accustomed to a climate controlled by the gulf.  It's nice.  (Don't cringe too much!)

And don't worry, Bartholomew...I won't be summoning any magicians to try to change the weather.  I just hope it takes care of itself soon.

0 comments: