They Start So Young!

What is with this new generation and their obsession with all things electronic?  Is it somehow bred into them?
I always thought I was on top of things because:
1- I always had access to a computer growing up.
2- I learned how to type before I finished middle school and.
3- I felt confident in front of a computer.

However, I realized a few things recently:
1- My first email address was assigned to me by BYU--I was in college!!
2- I had graduated from college before I bought a cell phone.
3- The first digital camera I owned was after I got married.
4- I did two internet searches in high school. 
5- I remember when you had to go inside to pay for gas.
6- I've never tweeted.  (Though I will fix this one soon!)

At three years old, Kaia has navigated the internet more than I had at 17!  Harry knows more about computers than anyone from the 19th century.

Lest you get the wrong idea, I do have a facebook account, I know how to make a blog, and I still feel like I am at the front (relatively) of the internet age.  I just had a bit of a paradigm shift while I looked at my kids!

5 comments:

The Shepherd family September 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

I soooo know how you feel! I still am using the same email addy from high school. Reed understands with no instruction right off the bat what takes me at least a few minutes to figure out on the comp.!

Rachael October 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

No doubt!
Email was a brand new invention when we were teenagers. That's crazy because it seems so old school to me now.
I do LOVE internet access though. I feel like I'm always in school because anything I have an interest in, I can research and apply to my heart's content. What a blessing! And yet, all these modern technologies risk compensating for some basic life skills if not kept in check...what's next, drive through grocery shopping? More and more to aid our laziness...
For me, teaching my kids to work hard and learn people skills (in person) is at the forefront. That and understanding how to discern truth. These are amazing, yet scary times we live in!

Ashley October 4, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

That is such a cute picture! I'm a lot like you with a bunch of those things. I've never tweeted either (crazy, huh?), I definitely remember going inside to pay for gas, and I was about halfway through college before I got both a cell phone and a digital camera. :)

Amanda October 10, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

Your list just made my day! and gave my stomach a bit of exercise too

The Girl Next Door Grows Up November 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

I remember when a guy would pump gas for you!!

My 10 year old all of a sudden knows it all and can do it all and it is mind boggling because she juts "knows" how to do all of this computer stuff - without a class even!