Carts and Parking Lots

Most trips to Walmart are pretty uneventful, but today saw a small event that I've been thinking about since we left the parking lot.  Balancing two small kids and a shopping trip takes a little bit planning:

  • I always bring a list, 
  • I always feed both kids before we leave (or I bring a snack), 
  • I always buy refrigerator/freezer and fragile items last, 
  • I try to keep my shopping list under 30 items so everything fits in the cart, 
  • and I always try to park next to the cart return.  
I like to return the cart, but I won't walk away from the car when the kids are in it.  Sometimes (I hate to admit this) I leave the cart in the parking lot because I don't get a parking spot next to the cart return.

Today's shopping was smooth and pleasant.  However, as I loaded the kids and food into the car I realized that I couldn't reach the cart return and the parking lot was so full there was nowhere to put the cart without blocking someone's car.  (I'd really hate to do that!)  I decided to think about it after the kids were buckled up.  As I was buckling Kaia in, a man walked past with his teenage son.  He told his son, "Pick up that lady's cart for her" as they walked past.  They didn't even slow down as he wheeled the cart away.

I called out, "Thank you!" and they smiled.  That was it.  No big announcements or fanfare.  Just a simple good deed that totally made this lady's day.  It made me want to park someone else's cart for them, or take cookies to a neighbor.  It seemed so effortless for them, and yet I have been happier because of it all day.

And since no post is complete without a picture, here is Kaia coming home last night from a Trunk-or-Treat.  (You can expect a post dedicated entirely to the Trunk-or-Treat in the near future...I may be blogging about Halloween for the next two weeks!)

3 comments:

The Shepherd family October 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

Don't you just love that! Thanks for sharing!!! Great to hear of people making a good differance!

Cheryl @ On the Old Path October 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

I found your blog through MBC your daughter is a cutie. Now that I have some bigger kids too I can leave my oldest in charge of the littles while I return the cart, but when they were small and I didn`t get a close spot I would put the items we bought in the car and return the cart with kids in tow usually carrying one back while holding another's hand usually the most stressful part of the whole shopping trip :D As I was commenting my one son peeked at the screen and said, HMM that looks like a nice girl.

Stuff could always be worse October 31, 2010 at 6:27 PM  

Love the pic, yes Trunk or Treat, nice.
kim