Leonids Meteor Shower

 The Leonids Meteor Shower is supposed to peak tonight.  The Leonids are made when Earth flies through ice and rocks left behind the comet Tempel-tuttle.  These shooting stars are famous because they put on a larger-than-normal show every 33 years--they're also famous for the meteor shower that we Earthlings first noticed in November, 1833.  This year is not supposed to be so remarkable--only 15-20 shooting stars per hour.  I'm not sure if Kaia will be up to see it (since the best viewing will be at around 4:00 am), but I thought it would be fun to talk about constellations.  The Leonids appear to come from Leo the Lion.  I thought I'd make little star viewers with the kids so they could see what Leo looks like.
 First I traced a toilet paper roll on a piece of dark construction paper.  I used a pin to poke out Leo's shape (no, I'm not perfect!) and the Big Dipper's shape so we could find Leo in relation to the Big Dipper.  Then we cut on the straight lines and taped the construction paper to the toilet paper tubes.
 We took the "Leo Viewers" into the bathroom and put a flashlight inside of the toilet paper tubes.  Ta da!  The constellations lit up beautifully!
I like this picture because it looks like Leo's head is lit up!
Now the question is, Will anyone be up at 4:00 am to see the constellation (and the meteor shower!) in real life?

2 comments:

Nicki November 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

Thanks so much for stopping by my site!! I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THE LEO SHOW! I am so upset. I did watch in in 2002 and WHAT A SHOW! The kids were awoken at 3am and stood wide-eyed in the cold in their jammies. I thought some of the meteors were going to land in my yard. It was spectacular! I know this year wasn't going to be as big as '02 but I still really wanted to see it. Did you get a chance?

Jansen Family November 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

We didn't see it this morning, but it should still be pretty good viewing for the next two nights. That's so COOL that you saw it in 2002!!

~Carla