One Amazing Birthday


I've always loved birthdays...I think they just get better the older you are!  This year Jon asked if we could go to some lecture/meet-and-greet about Environmental Law.  I was sure we would be spending my birthday downtown eating little sausages on sticks and smelling wine.  I just knew I would spend the lecture (which actually sounded half interesting) outside on the lawn with two little kids who were too tired to hold still inside.  Before Jon left for school I said something about my birthday and he acted like he had forgotten that the date was November 8th.  Then, to really accentuate the fact that he'd forgotten, he took Kaia to the store--still before he left for school--and they brought back a beautiful butterfly balloon and a present with brightly colored tissue paper wrappings.  (Kaia believes everyone should have balloons on their birthday.)
I had been planning on making a carrot cake for my birthday since about September, when I realized that Jon would not be home during the day during the school year.  (Did I mention I love birthdays?)  Jon, however, insisted on getting to take care of the cake, since he forgot my birthday!
During the day I enjoyed visiting on the phone with different family members and playing with kids.  We played outside, read stories, and spent some time cutting.  Cutting has been popular lately--I've got a great post coming soon about a small cutting mishap!  Anyways, the kids love cutting and taping all sorts of things.  Kaia even made me a birthday card!
When Jon came home he brought a lovely bouquet of roses and a carrot cake from Sam's.  (Ah, sweet!)  A few minutes after he arrived Amy came to pick up her son, who I was watching.  She asked a question about some of the streets around here, and then went home.  Jon quickly got the kids dressed up, I did Kaia's hair, we changed our own clothes, and climbed in the car for a trip downtown.
Strangely, Jon began driving the wrong way!  "I'm taking a new way to the school," he announced.  There just isn't any other way to the school besides the way behind us!  I showered him with questions.  He wouldn't answer anything!  Finally, about five minutes into our six minute drive I figured it all out:  There was no lecture.  Jon had arranged for Amy to take some family pictures for us!  And, to make it even better, we were taking the pictures at a park near our home.  I LOVE family pictures in an outdoor setting.  I was SO EXTREMELY excited!  I have wanted family pictures for months...we don't have any with Harry in them!
Amy is very talented and took many gorgeous pictures of our family, the kids, and lots of different combinations of Kaia, Harry, Jon, and I.  We now have a great variety of fun, traditional, and candid pictures.  And she did it all while entertaining her own toddler!  I just had to put a few on this post to show off our cute kids!
As a final treat we went to Denny's for dinner.  I have fond, happy memories of going to Denny's as a kid and it is often my restaurant of choice--especially when the kids are coming!
I still feel like it's my birthday.  In fact, birthdays usually last at least a week around here. Something you enjoy so much simply has to last more than one day! Now, your treat for reading all the way to the end...you get to find out how old I am: twenty-nine.


6 comments:

Kimberly November 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

That was such a sweet, memorable birthday surprise! You have a stunning family. Happy Birthday!

Richele November 9, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

Lovely birthday! You have a beautiful family! Thanks for following me on Under the Golden Tree...I am happily and gratefully following you back. :)

Rachael November 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

These are beautiful! What a FUN surprise. That's really impressive, I don't think I've ever heard of a husband setting up things for family pictures-and even keeping it a surprise!
Happy belated birthday! I had forgotten how close our birthdays are until I read this.
Isn't it great to be twenty-nine?
THanks for sharing :)

Debbie Maxwell Allen November 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

What a wonderful birthday surprise! Your family is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

~Debbie

Rachel Elizabeth November 10, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

You have a lovely family. Your kids are adorable.

Ashley November 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

What a wonderful surprise! Beautiful pictures!