How to Peel Potatoes Easily

I first saw this trick used on Russet Potatoes, but I am happy to report it works wonderfully on Red Potatoes as well!  We were making lefse for Christmas, and we recently learned that potato peels jam our ricer, so we decided to peel the potatoes.  This was actually the first time we've bothered to peel potatoes for our lefse.  

Here's the trick:  
  • Before cooking, cut the potatoes in half.  Or, if you don't want them halved, score around the middle of the potato.
  • Boil or steam the potatoes like normal.
  • As soon as the potatoes are done cooking, put them in a big bowl of ice water.  After a minute or two, just twist the peels off.  They will slide off easily!  It took less than ten minutes to peel ten pounds of potatoes.  You will feel like a magician!  Well, I did. 
We ended up taking all the peels, mixing them with the cream for the lefse, pureeing them in a food processor, and adding the peels back to the lefse dough.  It just seemed wrong to throw away such good peels! 

3 comments:

Chels December 30, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Good trick! I'll have to remember that one...

Skye December 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

Wow I never woulda figured that on my own ever!! :)

Cortney Lyon December 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

I could have used that trick last week at Christmas.

I'm sorry it took me so long to come over. You visited me from The Girl Next Door and some how I skipped over you, so I apologize. I signed up to follow you back. I look forward to reading more!