Kudos to Houston

Dear City of Houston,

Yay for you!  Congratulations on such a responsible decision!

During the last four years we have watched (and smelled!) as the hill-sized land fill near the Angel Park literally grew before our eyes.  We have wondered why a city the size of Houston didn't have a city-wide recycling program.  Surely, it could save the city money!

When we moved into our home we drove two miles to our nearest school to recycle our moving boxes.

Three weeks ago when you sent us a letter announcing the Automated Recycling Program I was thrilled!  My neighborhood would get to participate in curb-side recycling!  I could hardly believe it.  Yesterday, when our 96-gallon recycle bin was delivered, I began to believe it.

I have already put in the bin cardboard boxes, cereal boxes, a milk jug, a broken bowl, and a sour cream bucket.  Even my 3-year old is excited to recycle and make new buckets, bowls, and books.  You have made it easier to teach my kids about being responsible citizens and smart stewards of the Earth.

Today, Houston, I am proud of you!

2 comments:

Small Footprints December 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

WhooHoo! Recycling just makes sense for every community. We live in an apartment and don't have curbside pick-up or even dumpsters to recycle in ... so we haul it to the nearest center. It works but I wish cities would start pick-up programs at multi-family housing ... it would encourage people to recycle. Maybe I'll start a letter writing campaign! :)

Thanks for following my blog ... I'm now following you too! :)

Ashley December 6, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

Awesome! We are really happy that we recycle more each week than we put in our garbage.