Oh no, She Had Scissors!

Kaia has a pair of scissors and a cutting station that she can use whenever she feels like it.  Recently, I came into her cutting space and found this on the floor.  "Kaia," I asked, "What did you cut?"  Remember this girl is three-and-a-half years old.  I knew I had not given her any black yarn.  She didn't answer right away, so I asked again, "What did you cut?"
 
"Mommy," she said, "I was being the cow's helper."  
"You cut the cow?"  
"Yes, it's tail needed cutting."

 She also managed to cut the tag off.  Tags really offend her.  Why the tag was still on it, eleven months after Christmas, I'm not sure.  It's not on anymore.  
I suppose I should be happy that she still has all her hair!
It looks like she'll be right on track when she reaches kindergarten age.  Kindergartners are expected to know how to cut when the year begins.  Fun things my toddlers/preschoolers love to cut include:
  • yarn
  • catalogs/ads from the mail
  • coloring books
  • play-doe
  • cereal boxes
  • cardboard
  • paper -- white, colored, computer, construction -- any kind will do!
They've asked about hair.  I've told them, "No!"

4 comments:

Ashley December 2, 2010 at 10:03 PM  

Omg my 3 year old loves to cut too. I say you got off pretty easy with a trimmed cow's tail. :)

The Shepherd family December 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

Just wait, the hair is comming, it might be a few years, but oh it's comming ;o)

Skye December 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

Great blog! I found you on Ashley plus three. I love reading everyone's mom blogs!
Too funny about the cutting incident. When I was a kid, I cut the hair off all my dolls- every single one of them. LOL. I Later went on to become a hairdresser (not one any more).

Your son & daughter are very very cute! You've got me as a follower~! :)

Deana December 7, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

I remember the day my now 6 year old cut her first toy. It was one of those American Girl dolls her aunt got her for Christmas. she thought it could use a cut. Then last year she wanted to fix my hair. She put it in all these little hair bands and was having a good ole time. Then she says, "wait just a second mommy." When she came back she cut a chunk out of my hair. After I freaked out I asked her why she did it. She said, "I didn't have anymore hair things."
Got to love the honesty:)