Bluebirds and Parakeets

 A few days ago I saw one of the cutest little birds ever:  the Eastern Bluebird.  In fact, I saw at least six playing in our yard.  Well, okay, they weren't really playing.  They were hunting.  We have a lot of bugs in our yard.  But they were really cute!  We watched them fly around and snatch bugs for at least 20 minutes.  And since I love to learn everything I can about anything I see, I thought I'd share some random facts about Eastern Bluebirds:
  •   Eastern Bluebirds do NOT live in Utah, nor most of the other western states.
  •   Eastern Bluebirds usually have blue eggs, but white eggs do show up too.
  •   Eastern Bluebirds can have two broods of babies, and the "older siblings" often help raise the younger!
  •   Eastern Bluebirds are just a little smaller than robins.
  •   Some Eastern Bluebirds live in Texas year-round; some migrate to Texas in the winter. 
  •   Eastern Bluebirds almost disappeared from Texas because they ran out of nesting spots.  Then, people built thousands of nesting boxes and now they have moved back. 
As a related side note, I did have a chance to go back to the University of Houston a couple months ago and double check on the parakeets.  The little flock I saw was a group of Monk Parakeets, they were in the same trees they were in when I first saw them, and I did take a picture.  I would have to hunt for the picture, though.  I'm sure you were all just dying of curiosity.  Now you know.

So, yes, Eastern Bluebirds and Monk Parakeets live happily in wild, wild Houston!

5 comments:

The Shepherd family January 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM  

so cute :o) certainly more colorful than the robins around here, but I do have a blue jay family that hangs out in my trees in the summer :o)

Skye January 12, 2011 at 8:22 PM  

Bluebirds are native to NJ ... we live in the woods, and get all kinds of amazing birds here, pilleated woodpeckers, juncos, titmice, carinals, grosbeaks, goldfinches, red bellied woodpeckers, etc. We identified about 40+ so far. I have yet to see a single darned Bluebird. I would love to see just one. I will just have to look at the picture of yours! :)

Jansen Family January 13, 2011 at 9:43 AM  

Aliesha, I love blue jays too--I always laugh when I think about my little brother calling them birds with "spiky hair" once!

Skye, they do seem elusive...we are supposed to be in the middle of their habitat too, and this is the first time I've seen them in almost four years! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

~Carla

laughwithusblog January 13, 2011 at 6:41 PM  

Interesting! We have our very own Mocking bird that shows up every year--usually in the middle of the night. He stays for a couple of months then moves on.

Jansen Family January 14, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

How fun! I love Mockingbirds!