Houston Zoo Opens African Forest

After over a year of waiting, the Houston Zoo opened their African Forest exhibit last month.  We visited it last week. 

Okay, so Kaia is sitting on a Rhino statue, but there are three new White Rhinos in the African Forest.  Kaia pointed out that they did not look white, but that is what they are called!
The African Forest also has new Chimpanzees and some fun stations for kids, including Bongo Drums, Giraffe Feeding (for a few extra bucks), cool masks, and more.  I will admit, charging to feed the giraffes seemed a bit silly to me.  It was nice, though, to see the giraffes moved to a bigger area.  Their old habitat is going to be additional space for the elephants, which is nice too.
 
 
I also was entertained by the giraffe vertebrae station presented by volunteer docents.  They had casts of a giraffe vertebrae and a human vertebrae.  You know, both giraffes and humans have  seven cervical (neck) vertebrae, and it was fun to see a real-life comparison of the sizes.  I did take pictures, but, unfortunately, Blogger turned half my pictures 90 degrees and I simply do not have the patience to figure out why or re-post them.  So, that will be all the visuals you get of the African Forest! 
Kaia is a master at "taking time to smell the roses."  And she's so cute at it, too!  As a side note, I love visiting zoos and parks that have the names of a lot of plants posted by the plants.
We happened to time our visit with the Lion Training Show (unintentionally!) at 11:30.  Before that, I was distracted by the Rhinos and Jon kindly walked the kids around the African Forest.  Before we knew it, we had no idea where each other were!  Usually , we have phones with us, but on this occasion we left one phone at home and one in the car.  (weird, I know!)  The best part was that when we arrived at the zoo and saw we would be there for the show, we decided to go and watch.  We didn't think about it after the initial plan.  Then, everyone disappeared!   It was really strange to feel like my family was lost at the zoo!  So, when 11:20 rolled around and neither of us could find the other, we both went to the lion show and...tada!   There we all were!  Happy ending!
Harry likes to spit...it's one of his super-powers.
He and Kaia both liked the lions, but Jon and I enjoyed them more!
Harry loves to practice walking.  I know I've mentioned this a million times, but he really loves it.  Of course, a morning at the zoo will wear anyone out. Kaia took this last picture in the car on the way home.

4 comments:

Alida January 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

How fun!! I love your photos and I really enjoy seeing kids having fun at the zoo!!

Skye January 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM  

Ooh looks like fun!

The Shepherd family January 23, 2011 at 11:08 AM  

How fun! I love taking my kids to the zoo! Sounds like everyone had a great time! Very cool that Kiai could take such a good pic of Harry :o)

Jansen Family January 24, 2011 at 8:15 AM  

It was a lot of fun!

Kaia's become quite the little photographer lately...she knows how to switch between camera and view mode and how to zoom!

~Carla