Make an Easy Tambourine

The kids love music...and anything else that makes noise...so, last month we made these personalized tambourines.  We duct taped a handful of beans inside two paper plates (Do you like how I used duct tape like a verb?!) and the kids decorated the tambourines with markers.  We shook them and sang "Old McDonald" and really rocked out to our own music!  We had everyone tapping the same beat, and we had everyone going crazy!

No, the tape didn't last forever (maybe because it was blue duct tape?), and eventually I tossed  the entire lovely musical work of art (shhh...don't tell).  But, the kids sure loved making them and performing with them!  I love hearing Kaia shout, "1, 2, 3, 4..." and then start singing and dancing!  Oh, yeah, pretty fun.

7 comments:

Julie January 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM  

What a great idea! The funny thing is, I was picking up my living room this morning and found some paper plates someone had drug out and left and I thought to myself..."maybe I should keep these for some sort of craft." LOL! Perfect!
Julie@
oatmealonthewall.blogspot.com

Skye January 24, 2011 at 8:22 PM  

Awesome. I have to say, you come up with the greatest ideas ever! How do you think of this stuff? Do you get inspired through something or someone else *or* are you just THAT good that you can look at some plates, beans and a roll of tape - and say "I know what we can make today!!!" - If you are THAT good, then I am truly jealous! haha! Well done! :)

Jansen Family January 25, 2011 at 2:04 PM  

Talk about timing, Julie! lol!

Haha, Skye! Actually, I have a home day-care and I try to think of a fun/novel/exciting/educational project for them to make at least 1-2 times a week. I also try to do other fun/educational experiences that don't involve making anything throughout each week. I try to keep it inexpensive, so the thought process is more like, "What can we make that appeals to 1-3 year-olds that relates to our themes this week that does not require an extra trip to the store for materials?"! I've been making a mental idea list for years, and I try to acknowledge people or websites when I've been inspired by something recently!

Genny January 25, 2011 at 5:46 PM  

Love it! That is such a cute idea.

Hugs to you!
Genny

Jansen Family January 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM  

Thanks, Genny!

~Carla

Ashley January 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM  

What a great idea, both my kids would love this!

Jansen Family January 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM  

Ashley, isn't it funny how kids love things that make noise?!

~Carla