A Picky Eater Pleaser! (Three fast, healthy recipes)

I have known my share of picky eaters.  One of the toddlers I watch unequivocally qualifies!  All of these recipes were a huge hit...with me, my family, and my kiddos!  I was inspired with the Orange Sauce idea after reading Chelsea's thank you card to Pioneer Woman.  As you can see, the recipe is very flexible and easy to adapt to whatever ingredients you have handy.  My recipes are a bit simpler than the originals, but I am convinced they taste at least as wonderful!  What I am recommending (because it was so extremely popular!) is a basic Orange Sauce served three times:  once over pasta, once as a Spanish Rice base, and once as a Queso Beso base.  What's a Queso Beso?  Keep reading. 

Orange Sauce:
2 26-ounce cans Hunt's Garlic and Herb Spaghetti Sauce (store brand works too!)
2 12.5-ounce cans of chicken
8-10 ounces Heavy Whipping Cream (oh yes, this is delicious!)

Heat the sauce and chicken in a large saucepan until it starts to boil.  Turn the heat off and stir in the whipping cream.  Watch it turn orange.  Very cool!

Chicken Pasta:
Serve Orange Sauce on top of your favorite pasta.  Add salt if needed.  Perhaps, add a side of broccoli.  I like broccoli.

Spanish Rice:
Add oregano and cumin to the Orange Sauce.  Stir in your favorite rice.  We've been on a Jasmine Rice kick lately.  It was delicious.  I loved watching my toddlers eat this with their fingers.  The spoon just took too much work.  So cute!

Queso Beso:
Smear a large spoonful of Orange Sauce on a tortilla.  Add lots of cheese.  Bake on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven until the cheese melts--about 4 or 5 minutes.  Oh, yes, this is good.  Very, very good.  I suppose technically "queso beso" is "cheese kiss" in Spanish.  I had the idea because I like to make quesadillas with sauce...adding a sauce with chicken is even better.  I have to call food I serve to kiddos something and "queso" and "beso" rhyme...yeah, you can see where this is going!

There you have it.  Three recipes even picky eaters can't say no to!  At least, I hope your picky eaters like them as much as mine have!  And they can all be cooked up in under 15 minutes.  Do you have any other ideas for this delicious Orange Sauce?  Or any other toddler-proof/picky-eater pleasers?  I'd love to hear them.  I love fast lunches.

And just for fun, did you know that 1/4 cup of Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce has enough tomato in it to count for two (yes, two!) child-sized servings of vegetables.  Sweet! 

10 comments:

Chels January 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM  

Awesome! You are so creative!

Ashley January 28, 2011 at 11:14 PM  

Wow this is a great idea and sounds so yummy! Mymkids would gobble that up. Xo

Bree, Home of Blogmania January 29, 2011 at 6:52 AM  

Never knew so many uses for an orange sauce :)..funny yet looks/sounds good!
Thanks for stopping by! My baby is feeling better, the doc said 'ear infection' and since she is on the mend.
Have a great weekend.
Bree

Jansen Family January 29, 2011 at 7:25 AM  

Chels, you totally inspired it!

Ashley, I love to watch kids eat food they're excited about! It's so fun!

Bree, I'm so glad she's getting better!

Have a fabulous weekend!

~Carla

Scarlet of Moms Wear Your Tees. com January 29, 2011 at 8:27 AM  

Thanks for sharing your recipes. I always love hearing what others are making and get new ideas!

Jansen Family January 29, 2011 at 8:23 PM  

Thanks Scarlet! I love getting ideas from other Mom bloggers too!

~Carla

laughwithusblog January 29, 2011 at 11:12 PM  

I love these recipe ideas. I've never thought of adding whipping cream to pasta sauce. I must try it! Thanks so much for sharing these!

Jansen Family January 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM  

Thanks Esther! I've been putting whipping cream in all sorts of things this week--it's been a ton of fun!

~Carla

Skye January 31, 2011 at 8:17 PM  

Love it! I have used creamcheese in my sauce before, and it makes the sauce tasty! So I would bet the whipped cream does too! :)

Jansen Family February 1, 2011 at 7:48 AM  

Ooooh...cream cheese sounds yummy too! I just saw another blogger who puts it in her lasagna too...Mmmm!

~Carla