Story Time Idea...Flannel Box

This works great for story time with my kiddos...they also play with it on their own.

Some time ago I covered a large diaper box with blue flannel.  I used hot glue to keep it flat.

I currently have three sets of cloth pieces to use with it:  shapes (dozens of shapes cut from pink flannel), story pieces (animals, plants, cars, and more cut from printed fabric), and "It Looked Like Spilt Milk" pieces (cut from white cotton).  My sister gave me the idea for the Spilt Milk pieces.  It was really easy to look at the pictures in the book by Charles G. Shaw and cut out my own pieces.  The kids love hearing the story with pictures that move.  I have fun sticking the pictures to the flannel box.  The kids also enjoy playing and making up stories with the shapes and story pieces.  It's funny to watch how the shapes bag is just as popular as the story pieces bag--either way they are getting math and/or literature exposure! 

I love my flannel box.

4 comments:

Ashley January 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM  

This is an amazing idea! My kids love storyboards but a box takes it to a whole new level! xo

Skye January 8, 2011 at 8:07 PM  

Wow - where do you get these great ideas from!? If I sat down for a day and tried to come up with that, I do not think I could - I just don't think that way LOL. Well done.

parenting ad absurdum January 10, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

This is awesome!! Love the cut-outs. I would say pay for this, lady!

Jansen Family January 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

Aw, you guys are so nice! I'm considering putting together some templates and posting it as a free ebook. We'll see if I have the time!

~Carla