Happy Chinese New Year!!

Today is the first day of the Chinese New Year!  As you probably know the festival begins with the new moon and ends with the full moon.  Happily, that adds up to 15 days of festivities, so we'll be doing several activities to celebrate.  Today we made fireworks and had a dragon parade!



We made the dragon mask out of paper plates...the kids had a lot of fun with that!  Here are several links that have fun Chinese New Year activities.  I'm posting them to share and so I can keep track of them!  About.com inspired me to make fireworks, but I used glitter paints instead of actual glitter.

Holiday Spot
Activity Village
About's Family Crafts -- Fans
About's Family Crafts -- Chinese New Year's Crafts
About's Family Crafts -- Chinese New Year

7 comments:

Skye February 3, 2011 at 5:10 PM  

It's great for the kids to know about other cultures! How neat!!

Unlikely Origins February 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM  

Ah! I love that dragon!

Ten mom points for awesome cross-cultural creative activities! (Cause, uh, I'm totally the one who gets to decide crap like that, right?) At any rate, looks like fun!

-Karinya @ Unlikely Origins
www.unlikelyorigins.blogspot.com

The Shepherd family February 4, 2011 at 1:44 PM  

You are so creative, once again, that movie Tangled reminds me sooooo much of you!

Ashley February 5, 2011 at 3:46 AM  

That is adorable! I'm amazed at your creativity!

Jansen Family February 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM  

Thanks, guys! This was a ton of fun! I'm also really looking forward to doing our own little lantern festival on the full moon!

~Carla

Brandi February 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM  

What a great cultural activity! I can't wait until my monkey gets old enough to do more structured activities!

Jansen Family February 7, 2011 at 8:58 AM  

Hey Brandi,

I love doing little activities and lessons with the kiddos! Thanks for stopping by!

~Carla