Happy Groundhog's Day

Kaia made and taped an extra "tree" onto her stump!
Groundhog's Day was an event today!  I decided the kids were old enough to have fun with it, so we did!  After introducing them to the groundhog (an animal) I told them a groundhog story with the groundhog puppet we would be making soon.  (You can imagine the puppet actions!)  

Once upon a time a groundhog lived in a big tree stump.  He climbed out of the tree stump and looked for his shadow.  "Shadow?  Shadow?  Where are you?"  Then he found it!  Right there!  He dashed back inside his tree stump.  He saw his shadow, so the weather would be cold, cold, cold!  Now, let's see what else could happen.  One time, he looked for his shadow.  "Shadow?  Shadow?  Shadow, where are you?"  but he couldn't find it!  No shadow!  Now the weather will be warm and sunny! 

The kids loved dramatizing the search for his shadow.  Then I gave them each their own groundhog and tree stump to color and cut out, and we told the story again.  This time they each moved their own groundhogs up and down...it was so cute! 

We talked about shadows and used a flashlight to look at shadows on the wall.  They, of course, made their own shadows bump and bounce and wave...loads of fun!  And, naturally, we looked at pictures of real groundhogs.  I love that my 2-year old boy declared the groundhogs were "cute!"

3 comments:

Swanky Baby's Mom February 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM  

I am glad you like my blog, and yes that was mine you saw on FB! You have a great blog too!

Now a follower!

Chels February 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM  

Carla, are you going to homeschool your kids? I totally think you should- you do such cool things with them!!!

Jansen Family February 3, 2011 at 2:26 PM  

Swanky Baby's Mom, Thanks for coming by!!

Well, Chels, you hit a button! I'm not actually sure. We're definitely homeschooling "preschool," and I still have a year to decide about kindergarten...actually, I have a year and a half! I keep switching back and forth. One day I'm sure I want to homeschool, another day I have no idea. We'll have to see what the next year or so brings!

~Carla