20 Minute Dinner

I'm calling it Bok Choy Beauty.  Anything that is so delicious and takes under 20 minutes to prepare is beautiful.  Kaia called a lot of the shots on this one...she saw the bok choy and wanted to buy it.  I thought, "It's supposed to be anti-cancer and full of healthy goodness, so why not?"  When we were on the canned veggie isle she announced that the little corn was her favorite, so we picked that up too.  By that point I was getting a vision of dinner.

Bok Choy Beauty

Ingredients:  
1/2 a large head of bok choy
1 can of little corn
1/2-1 pound of cooked sausage*
1 can of coconut milk
about 1 teaspoon Thai green curry paste
about 4 chopped Roma tomatoes
rice

1.  Start the rice right away so it will be done when the curry is ready.
2.  Pour the coconut milk in a large frying pan and turn the heat to medium-high.
3.  Stir the curry paste into a few tablespoons of cool water.  Once it dissolves, pour it into the pan.
4.  Chop bok choy.  
5.  Add sausage and corn to pan.  Once pan is boiling, add bok choy.  2-3 minutes later, add tomatoes.
6.  Let everything simmer together uncovered for a few minutes.  You don't want the veggies to disappear because you overcook them.
7.  Serve over rice!  If you didn't salt the rice, you may want to add salt.  Oh yes...it's very good, especially if you like Thai-ish food!

*Brilliant idea for fast dinners:  Cook 2-5 pounds of meat (fresh sausage, ground turkey/beef, etc) at the beginning of the week.  Divide it into 1/2-1 pound portions and store it in freezer baggies in the freezer.  It makes cooking all week much faster!

10 comments:

Bobbi March 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM  

Yum! It looks so good and seems so easy! Thanks for stopping by today. I would have said jogging stroller, but my husband hates ours, it is so big and takes up so much room when we travel. A stroller is def. important though! Have a great week! I'll have to try this recipe soon! ♥ BJ

Skye March 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM  

Now I know what Bok-Choy is ... kind of. haha! Sounds good!

Chels March 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM  

You're genius.

Jansen Family March 1, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

Bobbi, "easy" was my favorite part! When we travel we use an umbrella stroller...it's scary how many strollers we have!

Skye, when I lived in China I thought bok choy was lettuce they used some mysterious sauce on. lol! It's amazing what you can find at Wal-mart.

Thanks Chels, lol. I certainly have my days!

Carla

Hello! March 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM  

I am going to try this! My husband always wants Thai food but I don't have much experience with it. Is it spicy?

Jansen Family March 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM  

The spicy depends on how much green curry paste you use. If your family doesn't like spicy, I'd start out with about a teaspoon, stir it all in, and then taste it. If you want to kick it up notch you can always get another teaspoon or so out of the jar, mix it with water, and stir it in your pan. Remember your rice will dilute the flavor a little. You can also always add salt and pepper. ;) It is a unique flavor, but it's one that I love! Kaia is pretty good about trying a variety of food, but she won't stand for very much spice, so this works well for us.

Carla

Karinya March 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM  

This looks DELICIOUS.

I don't know if it's just the longing for spring/green or what, but -- man, anything fresh and/or with tons-o-veggies these days? I'm all over it.

I have a good friend with a food blog who has been on a kale kick lately (my brain equates bok choy and kale. I don't know if that's right or wrong, and I'm too tired to google, but --) you might like to check it out! (Gorgeous writing, gorgeous food photos, delicious recipes) http://bluejeangourmet.com/

-Karinya @ Unlikely Origins
www.unlikelyorigins.blogspot.com

Jansen Family March 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM  

Hmmm...you know, I think bok choy and kale are both in the cabbage family...

That blog sounds fun...I love healthy food and kale is supposed to be amazing. Thanks!

Carla

The Shepherd family March 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM  

Your making me hungry! We love Thai at our house!

Jansen Family March 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM  

Mmmm...us too! There are so many types of delicious food out there!

Carla