My New Favorite White Roll Recipe

These rolls are so delicious--soft, light, and fluffy on the inside and crunchy/chewy on the outside.  They took less than two hours from start to finish, and most of the time was spent rising or cooking.  The original recipe is available from Taste of Home.  I doubled it and changed a few steps so my Kitchen Aid could do most of the work.  Here's what I did (for 24 dinner rolls).

Ingredients:

  • about 4  and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon and 2 teaspoons yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup Smart Balance (or butter)

How To Make The Rolls:

  1. In Kitchen Aid, combine 1 and 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. 
  2. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter till it's warm enough for yeast.  Stir frequently so butter melts fast.  If it's too hot (like over 125 degrees), let it cool on the counter.  
  3. Pour over dry ingredients.  Mix with dough hook.  Gradually add remaining flour to form a soft dough.  (In Houston I find I often add more flour than recipes suggest because of the humidity.)
  4. Let mixer knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 more minutes.  The dough should not stick to the sides.  It should flop around the hook like a soft ball as it is kneaded.  When it is done, cover with a cloth and let rest for 10 minutes. Knead down by hand for about 30 seconds.
  5. Divide dough into 24 pieces; shape each piece into a roll. Arrange in a greased 9" x 13" glass pan. Cover again and let rise until doubled--about 35 minutes.
  6. Bake at 375° for about 17 minutes or until golden brown (our oven tends to cook fast). Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.  Smear a little butter over the tops of each roll.
Eat warm or cool--these rolls are yummy!  It's a good thing I made 24 because they never would have survived lunch if I'd only made 12!

7 comments:

laughwithusblog March 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM  

This looks wonderful! I only make bread using the breadmaker. :)

Jansen Family March 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM  

At the risk of sounding horribly naive, do breadmakers make rolls?

Carla

Ashley March 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM  

Oooh my mouth is watering! I'm going to have to try these very soon!

Jansen Family March 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM  

I think you'll love them! We've had them again since I posted this...I just had to have them again!

Carla

Trish March 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

Oh my YUM! These look so good. I'll have to try your recipe soon.

I've missed you guys and was surprised to see that you had gotten so many blog posts out that I haven't read yet. That's all fixed. Loving seeing your beautiful children--they got so big!

So... it's almost time for the Crawfish Boil... you guys coming? We're also doing La Bella Bistro on April 1. I'll send you a flyer. It would be awesome if you guys came.

Take Care!

Jansen Family March 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM  

Trish, we miss you guys too...I don't know why 20 minutes seem like two hours! We were talking about it being Spring time again...when is that Crawfish Boil? You know, Harry hasn't been to one yet! La Bella Bistro sounds fun too...the date might be a problem, though, it is Kaia's birthday! I'll let you know!

Carla

Chris Greek August 30, 2015 at 10:33 PM  

I discovered this recipe two weeks ago, and have made these three times since! Until this recipe, my rolls could have been used as MLB baseballs, or miniature wrecking balls, but these are FANTASTIC!! I live way up in the Canadian Arctic, so humidity is absolutely no problem (quite the opposite, actually!), and they turn out perfectly with your measurements. One minor change that we make is that we melt the butter on the stove, and then add the milk and water to it - it cools the mixture to body temperature immediately! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe; I can't wait to make more of your creations! - Chris