Sponge Painting Kids Craft

Earlier in March we spent a week learning about sponges.  I have a ton of activities to share...we'll see what I have time to post!  I used a lot of ideas from the book Squishy, Squashy Sponges.  One of our favorite crafts/activities was Sponge Painting!
 I cut a couple sponges into triangles, squares, circles, and rectangles so the kids could review their shapes.  I let each kiddo choose two paint colors for their tin.  We've been talking a lot about mixing colors and it was easy to see the results when they only started with two colors.  Each child had a different style and it was fun to watch them paint their papers, mix their colors, and design the page.  After about 5-10 minutes the kids wanted to trade tins.  They each ended up with a very colorful masterpiece!
We had a lot of fun painting this way.  I think at some point in the future I will use the same technique (sponges and paints) to let them decorate a vase, plate, place-mat, ceramic cup, or some other 3-dimensional object...obviously I haven't decided what yet!  This was the perfect beginning project though.  They really liked the sponge textures and learned  a lot using their hands and the paper.
 After she finished painting, Kaia wanted to fold her paper in half to mix the colors.  Then she folded it in half the other way.  I love her final piece! 

2 comments:

Karinya March 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

Paint, eh? You are a braver woman than I . . .

(Mess potential aside, this looks fun! And such cute pictures as a result!)

-Karinya @ Unlikely Origins
www.unlikelyorigins.blogspot.com

Jansen Family March 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM  

Oh, I really love painting with them! And it was so fun to see them experiment with the sponges!

Carla