Kaia's Flying Bird (or Levers for Preschoolers!) and an Online Science Class for Preschoolers!

video

Ready?  Go!  We talked about levers today and the kids "launched" a Flying Bird.  We used a ruler as the lever and experimented with different fulcrums and different positions for the fulcrum.  The kids loved it!  After a while, Kaia wondered what would happen if she used her foot (instead of her hand) to stomp on the lever.  Of course, that started a whole new set of experiments!

I've really enjoyed following along with Pineapple Paintbrush during the last month as Dani posted a preschool art class four days a week.  More than once I thought, "This is so neat.  Here is a woman sharing a skill she is passionate about in a fabulous way!"  It made me want to contribute more to the blog-land community.  I do lots of crafts with my kiddos, but my expertise really isn't in art.  It's in science.

So, I'm going to host an online Science Class for Preschoolers this summer!  I'll probably just use this blog, though I've thought about making another one just for the class...I haven't completely decided!  I'll target the activities to 4-year olds, but they will be adaptable for 2-6 year olds.  I'm going to plan it out in May and post it in June.  Each day will include a little lesson plan/project outline for a science class with your kiddo.  I'm already getting excited about sharing the ideas I've had! 

What do you think?  Are you excited?  Is an online Science Class for Preschoolers something that would be helpful to you?  Are there any subjects you'd particularly like to see included?  I'd love to hear some feedback!  I'll be posting more about it as the weeks go by!

5 comments:

The Shepherd family April 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM  

Sounds just like something you would do! Love the idea!!!

Skye April 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM  

That seriously sounds awesome. I wish Julianna were old enough to partake! :) You always have the best ideas!!

laughwithusblog April 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM  

It sounds like fun!

Jansen Family April 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM  

Aliesha, Am I really that predictable?!

Skye, I wish she were too! Harry is usually either an excellent audience or a super snacker when I do science stuff with the other kids!

Esther, I think it will be a ton of fun! I'm already getting very excited!

Carla

Jansen Family April 29, 2011 at 7:03 PM  

I want to give a shout out to Char at Fun Frugal Mommy. She's just put up a linky for preschool activities. You can visit her at http://funfrugalmommy.blogspot.com/2011/04/preschool-activity-bag-blog-hop.html