Our Best Bike Crash Yet

One second she was flying down the road--so fast that even running I was behind her--the next second the bike was on top of her.  

She has been getting so good at riding her bike lately that I just let her take off.  It is fun, after all, to make yourself go so fast on a bike.  Then we approached a corner with a drain by the sidewalk.  She turned too abruptly and flipped.  

The side of her head hit first, then her out-stretched hands and knees absorbed a lot of impact.  Then her momentum threw her face into the street as her bike pinned her down.  Yikes.

I picked the bike up off of her and asked her if she could get up.  She did, and we inspected her injuries: 

** Head?  Fine.  
** Elbows?  Fine.  
** Knees?  Fine. Her knee pads (which I had strapped on tightly!) were shoved down about four inches. 
** Hands?  Scratched.  
** Face?  Scratched.  
I am so very glad she had all her little protective gear on. 

She rode her bike back home so we could doctor her up.  She didn't like seeing the scratch on her hand.  I thought it was all very impressive...I was so proud of her!

5 comments:

Skye April 22, 2011 at 11:03 AM  

Awww that's gotta make your heart stop for a few seconds when you see the crash happen! Glad she's ok !!!

The Shepherd family April 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

Protective gear is a must :o) Glad she is ok and not too tramatized. Poor thing :o( The road to sucess is built on failure, too bad that it gives us bloody lips though.

Carla April 23, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

Skye, It totally made my heart stop! I kept thinking, "Calm, be more calm..."

Aliesha, I am SO glad she had all that gear on. I never wore so much when I was a kid, and I don't know how my mom ever let me out the back door!

Carla

Alicia@ Mommy Delicious April 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM  

So sorry that she fell. Aww... It's super important to wear protective gear.

I think it's a pretty cool thing that you took pictures of it so that she can remember it as she grows. That gave me a great idea. LOL.

Jansen Family April 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM  

Alicia, I was so torn between cleaning her up and getting a picture. She showed me her hand so nicely, though! And we did wipe up a little blood on her lip before the picture, and we cleaned her right up afterward!

Carla