Because It's Always Funny When It's Not Your Child...

...and because I know you so want to smile at something today, 
...and because I really do want a record of this so Kaia can laugh at it too (in about 20 years!),
...I'm sharing how Kaia got herself in trouble yesterday.

She was supposed to be doing quiet nap time activities like reading, drawing, cutting, or file folder games while the other kids napped.  Well, she was quiet.  
When I checked on her, this is what I saw:
Yes, that's our living room carpet.
This is how she spent the next 20 minutes:
She said, "This is hard work." 
Was it hard enough?  Time will tell.  Of course, she also gets to spend the next 7 days laying down during nap time.  That was even harder for her little heart to swallow.  But it means she gets a poignant reminder every day for a week.

Here's my favorite part of our conversations about the "beautiful, happy sunflower:"

Me: While you were drawing the sunflower on the carpet, did you any part of your mind say, "Maybe I should not color on the carpet.  Maybe I should do this on paper."?
Kaia: No.  I just thought, "I wonder what will happen..."

As a side-note, I've always hoped my children would be willing to break just enough rules to have fun in life, but never do any real damage.  Happily, this turned out just fine.  The marker came out with a bit of Mommy Help and hopefully she doesn't get too depressed during nap time next week. 


13 comments:

The Shepherd family May 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM  

So far my kids have only colored on the wall. I am keeping my fingers crossed that that is all that ever gets colored on. All that aside it is a very happy looking sunflower :o)

Jansen Family May 6, 2011 at 7:55 PM  

It is happy, huh?! I actually felt a bit bad making her destroy her own art work. :( Walls are nice, if you have matching paint. ;)

Carla

Melissa May 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM  

Oh no!!! That is no fun. My oldest put ink pen on the couch when he was younger.... kids do the darndest things.... Looks like after all the hard scrubbing the mess was all clean. Thank goodness.

Melissa
MeloMomma

Alison May 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM  

LOL!!! So sorry for laughing at your expense but it's just one of those moments where you either laugh or cry.

Glad it came out. Thank goodness they make washable markers now.

Alison
Momipseity

Jansen Family May 7, 2011 at 1:39 PM  

Lol, Melissa! Part of me would love nice, new couches but another part of me thinks it should wait until my youngest is...um...ten, at least!

Alison, I was actually nervous because they were NOT "washable," but it did still come off! I used a bit of Shout, and that seemed really important!

Carla

Skye May 7, 2011 at 8:53 PM  

I have to laugh (sorry!) ... but it is good you made her clean it up. I think that will help her to think twice next time. Maybe.

I dread when Julianna hits that stage. I have no doubt she will be using my MAC lipsticks to color the dog!

Happy Mother's Day!! :)

Amanda May 8, 2011 at 7:01 PM  

At least it was a happy sunflower :) I'm not looking forward to cleaning up crayons and markers in the near future.

laughwithusblog May 8, 2011 at 7:03 PM  

One day I went to check on my daughter. She had painted her whole room, and I mean the whole room, with poop. Yeah.

Jansen Family May 8, 2011 at 7:49 PM  

Skye, I can totally picture lipstick on the dog...and all over herself too!

lol, Amanda! She's normally so good about keeping it on paper! I suppose "kids will be kids..."

Esther, That is seriously one where I don't know if I would be able to keep my cool. I would be so ticked/grossed out! I suppose, though, it does make a good story a few years later!

Carla

kewkew May 8, 2011 at 11:02 PM  

Today during naptime it was the toilet that became an art canvas. My daughter was not a happy camper when she had to scrub it off. At least your's was a pretty sunflower. Our's was just scribble.

Jansen Family May 9, 2011 at 7:06 AM  

What is it about naptime that brings out this behavior?! lol. They have such grown up moments and then they can have such not grown up moments!

Carla

Dayhomemama May 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM  

Oh Wow, I love that she has enough imagination to test the boundaries, my son has done things like this and after a good "grouding" very similar to Kaia's, he continues to be "creative" in many ways, it keeps our lives interesting anyhow, so we let somethings go and choose our battles, we have lots of fun though!!

Jansen Family May 30, 2011 at 7:50 AM  

Dayhomemama, I love her imagination too--it certainly keeps our days more exciting! It's good to remember, I suppose, that kids can be creative in "appropriate" ways...lol!

Carla