The First Tomato

Okay, technically it was the third tomato.  But, first or third, we are so very excited about our little tomato plants!  About two and half months ago we planted two "big" tomato plants and one "cherry" tomato plant.  We've already picked two cherry tomatoes.  This picture, taken on Saturday, was our first ripe big tomato!  At least a dozen other big green tomatoes are ripening still and I've found about that many more cherry tomatoes growing.  The plants themselves are over four feet tall and have grown easily.  I especially enjoy the tomato-y smell I get on my hands whenever I water them!  I absolutely love fresh garden tomatoes.  Mmmmm! 

We're also excited about our little corn patch.  I'll have to give them their own post, but we're hoping for a bit of fresh corn this fall too.

9 comments:

Skye May 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM  

Ooh nice & plump! Garden tomatoes taste the best! So sweet. We just planted our cherry tomatoes... They should be srouting soon... Last year we had enough to have a few in our salads every night. Yum! Can't wait to see your corn!

laughwithusblog May 17, 2011 at 4:37 PM  

Oh yum! I could take a bite right now!

Jansen Family May 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM  

How fun, Skye! I love going outside to get something to have with or for dinner! I'm really excited about the corn too...it's my first year trying it, so I'm really hoping it works out!

Oh, Esther, you would LOVE it! At least, I did. ;)

Carla

Diana Smith May 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM  

aww how fun!! I want a garden :)

Jansen Family May 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

Our garden right now is several 2' wide spots along the fence in our backyard where I've dug out the grass, and I'm loving it!

Carla

The Shepherd family May 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM  

Man! You stink! I just planted my tomatoes and I am hoping that this storm doesn't kill them :o( Happy for you and your kids though, we can't wait for ours :o)

Jansen Family May 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM  

Haha Aliesha! Move to Houston and you too can plant in February! ;)

Carla

Nicki May 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM  

Congratulations! I always consider planting a veggie garden but with all the deer in my yard...and rabbits...skunks...fox...and one coyote...I am reluctant!

Jansen Family May 24, 2011 at 9:50 AM  

Haha Nicki! I'd be reluctant too! I'd be really upset if I put all that work and water into plants and some rabbit came and ate it all!

Carla