Moments of Triumph and Honesty from a Child's Life

First, a Moment of Triumph:

While I was fixing food today, Kaia called into the kitchen telling me there was a spider in the living room.  I told her I'd come get it in a minute.  She came into the kitchen and asked for a paper towel.  I gave her half a paper towel, and she left happily.  Last week she spent more than five minutes chasing one of those itty-bitty, less than 1/8" wide spiders around the window sill.  I assumed she was repeating that little adventure. 

"It's running away!" she called.

"Okay, I'll come get it," I answered.

Seconds later, "I got it!  I squashed him!  Mommy, do you want to see it squashed?"

"Sure," I answered, expecting it to be a tiny, unrecognizable spec on the paper towel.  Boy, was I surprised.  It was huge.  Really--probably the size of a quarter.  It was squashed, but I thought it looked like a wolf spider.  "Wow, Kaia, you got a big one!  I thought you squashed a little spider!"

"No, Mommy.  It had big legs!" 

Yeah, that was an understatement!  We showed it to her daddy on Skype.  It was that big.


Now, a Moment of Honesty (sort of):

We read The Cat in the Hat today.  After all sorts of adventures with the cat, the narrator concludes with these final lines:

Then our mother came in
And said to us two,
"Did you have any fun?
Tell me.  What did you do?"

And Sally and I did not know
What to say.  Should we tell her
The things that went on there that day?

Should we tell her about it?
Now, what should we do?
Well....what would YOU do
If your mother asked YOU?

And I asked Kaia, "Well, what would you say?  What would you say if that happened to you and I asked about your day?"

Kaia looked very thoughtful for about ten seconds, as if she were really considering her options.  Then she answered, "Well, I would probably just forget." 

How convenient!

3 comments:

Lindsey June 1, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

WoW! My daughter is deathly scared of spiders. All bugs really. Good for Kaia! :)

The Shepherd family June 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM  

Oh dear! You might have your hands full with her! "I might forget!" Too cute, I asked my kids that and they don't know what to say :O) Glad she is not afraid of those spiders! The Wolf ones can get really big! Those are the only ones I have ever been bitten by. They will actually attack :o) Glad she got it first!

Jansen Family June 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM  

Lindsey, Kaia doesn't really like bugs either...at least not when they're alive! She's very happy to step on ants...the squashing spiders is a relatively new thing!

Aliesha, I'll admit I never expected her to go after something that size! After I saw it, I was first impressed that she caught it (they can be really fast!) and second glad that it wasn't "pregnant" -- they tend to carry their eggs around on their abdomen. I don't know how she would have responded if in squashing it she released a hundred babies!

Still, she was proud of herself for squashing it!

Carla