Online Science Class for Preschoolers--Supply List

Only two more weeks until I start my Online Science Class for Preschoolers!  I would be so thrilled if you joined us!  I have tried to make most of the supplies household items--I know some homes don't have toy dinosaurs, but I suspect if you have preschoolers or toddlers you just might have toy dinosaurs also.  I do know, however, that not everyone has two drawers of fossils or a bucket of seashells in their schoolrooms.  I decided to post this list of supplies so you can have time to look through it and pick up anything you might want.  I designed most of the lessons with 1-3 experiments or studies for your preschooler.  If you don't want to pick up the supplies, you can just do other activities/experiments.  This also makes adapting the class for younger children very easy: simply choose the experiments and activities that your child can do.  
I have highlighted in yellow the supplies that I suspect may not be common in homes with preschoolers.  If you have any questions or comments, I'd love to hear from you in the comments.  You can also send me an email at yes_carla@yahoo.com.

For other posts about the class, see my posts about intelligences and teaching young children science
  
Week 1: (Dinosaurs!)
  • Scientist Pictures (I will post)
  • I Am A Scientist poster.  (You can print and use my 8 ½” x 11” poster or enlarge it to any size you like.) 
  • Posterboard
  • Markers, crayons, pens
  • Toy dinosaurs
  • Meter stick (or any other 3-foot long object)
  • Paper bags (or be careful and use plastic)
  • Stompin’ Music!  (I used  Dinosaur Song (on YouTube), though I really like We Will Rock You by Queen…)
  • Science Journals.  We’ll be using little books folded out of paper. 
  • Fossilized Egg Pictures
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • Plastic knife
  • 12” balloon
  • Two paper bowls
  • Elmer’s Glue
  • Water
  • 3-4 pages of newspaper (or construction paper), torn into 1 ½” strips
  • Sponge
  • Scissors
  • Cardboard dinosaur fossils or 3-dimensional dinosaur puzzles (you can create or own or use my patterns)
  • Dirt or sand
  • Excavation tools (shovels, spoons, toothbrushes, etc.)
  • Real fossils (you can purchase individual fossils or large fossil kits from AmazonScience Kit, or Ward’s Natural Science)
  • Magnifying glass
  • Water or garden hose
  • Ranger Cookies (I will post a recipe)
  • Examining tools like toothpicks or a fork. 
  • Large cardboard (we used a piece about 1 ½ feet by 1 ½ feet)
  • Vase
  • Flour, salt, water, food coloring
  • Very large mixing bowl and six thick paper plates
  • Vinegar
  • Baking soda
  • Paper towels
  • Toy dinosaurs
  • Optional accessories like plastic trees, little sticks or rocks, etc.


Week 2: Light and Color
  • A mirror you can get wet and/or a mirror you can hold.
  • A bright flashlight
  • A sheet of white paper.  You may want to tape it to a piece of cardboard so it holds itself up.
  • Water
  • Shallow pan.  I used a 9” pyrex baking dish.
  • Clear cup
  • Powdered milk
  • Dish soap, sugar, water
  • Two straws
  • Yarn and scissors
  • Pie tin
  • A bright flashlight
  • Red cellophane
  • Cardboard or cardstock
  • Tape
  • scissors
  • balloon
  • Household objects like doors, books, papers
  • Pie tin
  • Red, blue, and yellow paint
  • Food coloring
  • Ice cubes
  • Color chart (I will post)
  • Milk
  • Dish soap
  • Eye-dropper
  • Paper towels or coffee filters
  • Washable (water based) markers
  • 6-10 paper cups
  • Science Journal

Week 3: Museum/make-up
  • Museum Sheet (I will post)
  • Science Museum
  • Science Journal

Week 4: Oceans
  • 6-8 sponges.  3-4 “pairs” is ideal (you can cut 1-2 in half), some synthetic, some natural
  • Paint
  • Paper
  • Water
  • Paper cups
  • Sponge pictures (I will post)
  • Salt
  • 1-5 gallon bucket you can fill with water
  • Toys and other objects that can fit in your bucket
  • Eggs
  • Spoon or something to stir with
  • Small balloons
  • Permanent marker
  • Small plastic bowls
  • Empty metal can, about 10 ounces
  • 3-8 inch deep container that will hold at least a gallon of water
  • Pliers
  • Duct tape
  • Sea shells (lots)
  • Ocean toy animals
  • Rocks
  • Ocean pictures (I will post)
  • 100 foot long piece of yarn
  • About 20 feet of yarn you can cut
  • Ruler
  • Magnifying glass
  • Cardboard
  • Science Journals

5 comments:

Nicki May 25, 2011 at 8:17 AM  

Sounds like fun! My kids are 13 and 17 and I no longer work at a preschool so I don't need the class but I hope you have a blast! Also, when I was a Program Coordinator for a Toddler program, I taught a class for the childcare counsel called "Science For Young Children" at a conference. All the participants loved it and couldn't wait to bring my ideas back to their classrooms! If you want any ideas, let me know!

The Shepherd family May 25, 2011 at 2:08 PM  

I am looking forward to it for sure!

Jansen Family May 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM  

Thanks, Nicki! I have this class planned out, but I would **love** to see your ideas. I'm considering doing another fall or winter class. I'll email you.

Me too, Aliesha! I've been testing the lesson plans during the last few weeks and we have had a fabulous time with them!!

Carla

Samuel December 27, 2012 at 3:56 AM  

Hey guys, please don't hesitate to do scientific research due to less availability of equipments, we deal with all kind of Online Science Supplies at cheaper cost

Maria April 3, 2013 at 4:51 AM  

Online science supplies are the best solution for getting products at cheaper prices.

Agar Petri Dishes