* Preview the museum online, if possible. Find 2-3 things your child will enjoy, talk about them before you go, let your child take pictures while you are there, and then talk about it after you return home. You may even want to let your child draw pictures of your visit and highlight those items.
* Don't worry if you can't see the entire museum. In Houston, just visiting all the permanent exhibits would take too long for a preschooler. And there are often visiting exhibits that are exciting and worth your time.
* Bring snacks, if allowed. Kids get hungry and then cranky. Save time and tantrums by having something to feed your child. Many museums have fast food available inside (for ridiculously high prices).
* Plan to get involved! Many science museums have hands-on activities, stations, tunnels, and more that are fun for kids and parents.
* Bring your camera. And make sure the batteries are charged.
Have loads of fun!