Online Science Classs for Preschoolers: Week 3...Museum Trip

For Week 3 of my Online Science Class for Preschoolers, I encourage everyone to take your preschooler to a science museum!  Even very young children will find things to learn at a science museum.  Here's a few pointers for your visit:

* Preview the museum online, if possible.  Find 2-3 things your child will enjoy, talk about them before you go, let your child take pictures while you are there, and then talk about it after you return home.  You may even want to let your child draw pictures of your visit and highlight those items.  

* Don't worry if you can't see the entire museum.  In Houston, just visiting all the permanent exhibits would take too long for a preschooler.  And there are often visiting exhibits that are exciting and worth your time.

* Bring snacks, if allowed.  Kids get hungry and then cranky.  Save time and tantrums by having something to feed your child.  Many museums have fast food available inside (for ridiculously high prices).  

* Plan to get involved!  Many science museums have hands-on activities, stations, tunnels, and more that are fun for kids and parents.

* Bring your camera.  And make sure the batteries are charged.  

Have loads of fun!  

4 comments:

Char June 23, 2011 at 9:02 AM  

I can't wait to do some of your science activities. We have been out of town for a lot of unexpected trips. I plan on bookmarking them and doing them in fall with Little Sweets thanks for sharing.

Char June 23, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

I can't wait to do some of your science activities. We have been out of town for a lot of unexpected trips. I plan on bookmarking them and doing them in fall with Little Sweets thanks for sharing.

Ashley June 28, 2011 at 6:40 PM  

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love the idea of taking kids to a science museum. When I lived in Chicago we took Tyler to the planetarium, children's museum etc. Here in Florida I think we have a few museums that would be really great to take him to. Thanks for reminding me, I am going to go look at the rest of your blog posts now!!

-Ashley aka homesweethomemama

Jansen Family June 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM  

Thanks, Char! I'm working on putting everything related to the science class on its own page, so it should be easy to find whenever you have time. ;) I still have four "ocean" lessons I'm putting up this week too! We were also out of town...it sure makes coming back interesting!

Ashley, I'm so glad you stopped by! It amazes me how many kid-friendly museums are around us! Have fun looking around!

Carla