Snow!

I have very vivid memories of my first snowman.  I was four.  The snowman had broken beer bottle glass pieces for eyes.  We had to drive to the mountains to find the snow (from southern California).  

Last month, while we were in Utah, Kaia made her first proper snowman.  (She may not remember, but when she was two there was a strange snowstorm in Houston and she saw snow for the first time!) 


Harry touched snow for the first time.  Again, we had to drive to the mountains...the snow had melted off the ground in the "valley."  It was June, after all. 


Months ago, when Kaia first found out that we were planning a trip to Utah, she said, "We will have to be sure to pack a carrot and some rocks or buttons or something..."


 She had lots of help making her snowman...


Good thing, too, since she kept getting distracted!


 Here she found "the perfect rocks for the snowman!"


 Harry, of course, tasted the snow.


 More than once. 


 What a good looking snowman!


 And some group shots...



 I loved the fact that even as we pulled away, other drivers pulled over to check out our awesome snowman.  We didn't even leave the scarf!  That's how cool he was!


 Nearby were gorgeous mountain views and other great adventures. 


And what better picture to end with, than this one?  You just have to know...he was laughing hysterically because he and his uncles were growling at each other!


11 comments:

Jennie July 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM  

They look like they are having so much fun! Your daughter is adorable in her little vest :) We are having a crazy heat wave, and I'm totally jealous of you guys hiking around somewhere so pretty and cool!

The Shepherd family July 21, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

That was a really cool snowman! LOVE your scenic pictures! How do you get your pics so big? Mine are as big as I can get them. Where did you go again? You all look like you are having a lot of fun! Hope you can repeat your trip again next year! :o)

Jansen Family July 21, 2011 at 7:07 PM  

Jennie, We're having quite the heat wave here (Houston) too--last month we took our vacation in Utah and LOVED the cooler temperatures! Of course, they did start to get summer just as we were leaving!

Aliesha, We were in Payson Canyon--they had just opened the loop and there were great piles of snow all over the top! Seriously gorgeous. I would LOVE to repeat the trip...Kaia's already been asking when we'll visit again. I just don't know how soon we'll make it again. At any rate, making the pictures bigger should be pretty easy: When you're in Blogger writing a post, try clicking on the picture. When I do it, I get options to change the size and add a caption. Let me know if it works. ;)

Carla

Jansen Family July 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM  

Actually, Aliesha, I thought of one other thing...the template you're using might have a size restriction on the picture. Like, if the column that your post appears in is 600 pixels wide, it might not let you make the pictures bigger that. I'm not sure...I definitely don't know much about HTML, but I did notice that your pictures filled the column. Anyways, it might give you something else to play with. :)

Carla

Lindsay July 22, 2011 at 1:16 PM  

Looks like a lot of fun for the kids. I just brought my son to the snow for the first time earlier this year and he loved it, too. Their snowman is so cute! I'm a new follower from the blog hop. :)

http://amommyslifestyle.blogspot.com

Jenn July 22, 2011 at 2:14 PM  

How sweet! I love the pictures. Some day I'll have to get my kids up North to see snow. I grew up with it, but they've never seen it.

Jansen Family July 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM  

Lindsay, It was a ton of fun! I loved watching the kids see it for the first time! Thanks for coming by!

Jenn, Isn't it funny how our kids can grow so fast without seeing something like snow? It's amazing to me! I think Kaia will remember it, but I'm pretty sure Harry will need reminding!

Carla

Sonia July 23, 2011 at 5:35 AM  

Hi following u through friday blog hop, kindly take a look at:

http://soniakathuria2010.blogspot.com

Nicki July 24, 2011 at 7:30 PM  

That is an awesome snowman! Holy cow, I can't believe I am looking at snowman pics in July!!!! Wow! Looks like you all had a wonderful time!!!

Jansen Family July 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM  

lol, Nicki, I can't believe we were playing in the snow in June! We sure enjoyed it!

Carla

Mom Daughter Style July 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM  

lovely photos.

Have a great Monday! Thank you for this beautiful post.

Following from the Mom Mondays. I hope you visit/follow back.
http://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/