This is Not Your Dinnertime Story...

...unless, I suppose, you usually talk about gross things at dinnertime.  

My kids are generally very good.  They like each other and have some idea of boundaries.  So, this morning when I needed to use the bathroom I thought the two of them would be fine playing together in my nice, baby-safe house for five minutes. 
(foreboding music enters the background)


I should have remembered they are just 14-months and 4-years old.  I should have strapped Harry down somewhere.  Should have, should have, should have...

Kaia's slightly worried voice interrupted my peaceful toilet time:  "Mommy!  I think you should hurry because I don't want Harry to poop or pee on the carpet!"  

"Did Harry take his diaper off?"  This is a new skill he's been trying to work on.  I've been trying to discourage it.  

"Yes!"  

"Okay, I'm hurrying!"  I didn't want Harry to poop or pee on the carpet either.

Seconds later, Kaia's voice was a little more panicked:  "Harry!  Ew!  Mommy, Harry pooped on the carpet and now he's playing in it!"  

I ran out of the bathroom.  I didn't even wash my own hands.  I picked up that naked little baby and plopped him in the sink.  I washed his hands.  "Ew" is right.  Ew. Ew. Ew.

Harry, on the other hand, loved it.  He loved getting his hands washed, sitting in the sink with the water on, using the soap, and looking in the mirror.  He did not love getting his diaper and clothes replaced. 

I did not love cleaning the carpet.  Ew. Ew. Ew again.

Kaia, as a toddler, never did anything remotely similar to this.  She said "Ew" today, and I think she would have said "Ew" as a 1-year old!  Harry, on the other hand, does not seem to get grossed out very easily.  Not at all!

13 comments:

Jansen Family July 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM  

Maybe we should start duck-taping the diapers on.

Jill July 27, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

Lol! I would've been one of those children fascinated with poo I think. This is hilarious, though I'm quite sorry that you had to clean poo out of carpet. :(

Jansen Family July 27, 2011 at 1:44 PM  

lol, Jon! You know, with all the baby-proof vitamin lids, door locks, and cupboard latches, you'd think Pampers could come up with something the babies couldn't tear off so easily!

Jill, it was easier than I expected, but still...EW!

Carla

Amber@Nater Tot July 27, 2011 at 2:53 PM  

OMG! That is disgusting and hilarious (at least for me who didn't have to clean it up or see it)! Ah, remember the days when we could use the bathroom uninterrupted whenever we wanted?! ;)

Stuart July 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM  

http://i.imgur.com/vHLx5.jpg

Jansen Family July 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM  

Amber, I know, right?! I didn't even appreciate it when I had it!

lol, Stuart! I think my favorites are the "constant oral excretions" and "can turn others into zombies!" And, I do have to say, the babies are a lot sweeter than the zombies!

Carla

The Shepherd family July 27, 2011 at 8:05 PM  

Oh I am sooooo glad that so far my kids have all kept their diapers on. They would only reach in and pull out the contents. (sigh) So far Dani has not had that problem though. :o) Really sorry I can empathise. :o( I have had to clean several poopy toys for that reason. Good luck.

Skye July 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

Oh my - yours is the 2nd blog I have read today about their little ones taking off their diapers and playing in it - I am laughing - but not really b/c I can not imagine the horror! Poor Mommy!! So far Julianna has kept hers on but you know as I say that, tonight she will be sitting in her own mess and playing with it for sure! LOL

Nicki July 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM  

I remember when my son (now 13) was a year old and I went to get him out of his crib after a nap. He had taken the contents of his diaper and smeared it all over his body, including inside his eyes!! I tubbed him then called the doctor for medication for the conjunctivitis that I KNEW he would have the following day. Doctor offices think parents are stupid though and would not give me the meds, thinking that I can't predict the future. The following day, I had to bring him to the office to get his pink-eye diagnosed and his meds. I am so glad those days are done!!!

Jansen Family July 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM  

Aliesha, I would be seriously tempted to throw away the poopy toys, lol! Good luck with Dani!

Skye, I'm starting to wonder if it's a boy thing? I'd love to hear a good story about a girl taking off her diaper and playing with the poop! (Okay, I would feel for the mom, but it would definitely make me smile!)

Nicki, I would be so mad at that doctor! Luckily, two days have gone by and we don't have any signs of infection...though, I'll tell you...I always worry when they pull gross stunts like this (or, you know, eating off the floor, rolling in mud...**smiley**)!

Carla

Green Mama August 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM  

I was just going to say that my oldest (boy, 2.5 years old) would have never done something like this! I hope that doesn't mean my #2 boy will be the one to do it. Maybe it's a 2nd child thing! Ew, ew, ew!

Jansen Family August 5, 2011 at 8:04 PM  

Well, Green Mama, I guess I don't have to be afraid of all boys playing in their poop! lol! It does make for quite the story, though!

Carla

Amy August 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM  

Carla-Oh my goodness! I found this TOO hilarious! I might be getting payback for laughing at this story once Aubrey is older! Thank you for stopping by my blog! Following you now!

Amy