4th of July Parade

I know it's the 9th of August, but we had so much fun at the 4th of July Parade that I just had to share a few pictures...even if it is a month later!

We found a fabulous shady spot under some trees in front of a grocery store,

 

and were lucky enough to find some friends to watch the parade with!


Kaia found this little critter and was very excited to show him to me...I was very happy that she didn't mind picking up the little guy.  


 Harry spent most of his time doing this:

 

or this:  (his first introduction to the candy...)
   

  

Actually, it was the first time Kaia tried this kind of candy too.   She and her little friend loved catching candy flying from the floats!


 And, of course, some of my favorite floats:




Is this a "float?"  They walked that parachute along the entire parade route and stopped about every half block to play with the kiddos.  Pretty cool.


We also loved all the marching bands.  Kaia and Harry played marching band games for at least two weeks after the parade!


After the parade we went home for naps, and then had a barbeque dinner with some friends from church.  The fireworks didn't start until 9:00 pm, so I decided not to attend this year.  It was a hard choice (sniffle), especially because I think the kids would have liked them, but 9:00 is really late around here...especially for Harry.  I might have thought about taking Kaia, but since Jon was still in Mexico it really wasn't an option to take just one kiddo.  

Even without fireworks, we had a wonderful 4th!!  Happy Birthday, America!


4 comments:

Karinya August 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM  

Hey!

(I didn't know if you'd see the reply comment on my blog post, but I wanted to thank you for stopping by and leaving the nice comment even after our long blog absence!)

I love your daughter's bug picture. K is fascinated by/obsessed with snakes (and all kinds of creepy crawly things) and I am trying my hardest to encourage it and not pass down my neuroses about anything that's not cute and cuddly.

Looks like a great 4th for you guys!

Karinya
www.unlikelyorigins.blogspot.com

Skye August 10, 2011 at 8:11 AM  

Great shots of the parade... looks like the kids had a nice time. I am nervous about the candy thing- I really do not want to voluntarily give any to Julianna but I know there are times (like the parade!) when it is going to happen anyway. I love that Kaia is not scared of buggies!! :)

Ciao Mama's August 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

Love.....I have enjoyed your blog is the last few days for I I have awarded you with the Versatile Blogger Award.. I hope you can stop by my page an accept your award.
Cheers

Jansen Family August 13, 2011 at 10:45 PM  

Hi Karina! I'm glad you're back!

Thanks, Skye! I'm a big anti-candy too, but parades seem like an appropriate exception!

Thanks, Ciao Mama! I'll pick it up next week!

Carla