Fizzy, Fun Preschool Science Activity (Part 1: Fizzing Sidewalk Paint)

A fun activity with the potential for tons of science discussion that will captivate the attention of children 1-4 years old?  Oh yes, I'm sold!  I first saw this activity on an August post at Biting The Hand That Feeds You.  As I thought about it, I decided to do a mini-series about Fizzy Science for Preschoolers.  I plan on doing a Fizzy Fun Preschool Science Activity post once a week for about a month.  I'm homeschooling Kaia this year (her preschool year) and love to use science activities that the other kids can participate in.  While everyone has fun doing the activity, the younger kids tend to ignore conversation that's over their heads.  They still pick up more than you would expect them to, but they don't get stressed out about information they don't understand.  The 2-year old here, for example, told me when he wanted "the vinegar to spray and make fizz!"

On to the fun!  What exactly are we doing?  We made Fizzing Sidewalk Paint with all the kiddos, then went outside and let them paint all over the carport.  When they began to finish painting, I let them spray the vinegar on the paint and watch it fizz!  The activity picked up life again as they sprayed all their paint and then painted more just to spray. 

Fizzing Sidewalk Paint Recipe:

** Mix well:  1 1-pound (16 ounces) box of baking soda and 1/2 cup cornstarch

** Carefully add:  about 1 cup of very warm water 

** Stir in the water.  You may want a little more/less to get the best texture possible.  Cornstarch is difficult to work with, but if you give it enough water and frequently stir it, it will stay runny enough.  Detailed artwork is not the goal today.

** Divide the paint into three bowls or cups and add about 3-4 drops of food coloring to each bowl.  Carefully stir the color in well.

**  Pour vinegar into a spray bottle and go outside for the fun!  (Alternatively, you could paint on a cookie sheet on your kitchen floor, but that will get quite messy.)  I used (and would recommend) cut up sponges instead of paintbrushes. 

What topics could you discuss before, during, and after the activity?  Here's a few: measuring, mixtures, colors and mixing colors, reactions, gas/liquid/solid, and acids/bases.  Don't get carried away trying to teach everything, though.  I didn't even bring up acids or bases because I'm going to wait until she has some more background experience with reactions.  I did tell her that when you mix vinegar and baking soda they react to make bubbles.  Lots of things react, and I'm going to wait a bit before we try to classify reactants.  

This activity was a huge hit!  My younger kids enjoyed it just as much as Kaia!  Harry (15 months) loved painting with the sponges, painting with his hands, and watching/making the paint fizz! 

 

 
 




8 comments:

Carolee Sperry September 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM  

This looks like loads of fun!

I've been watching the grand-kids quite a bit lately, maybe I'll try this!

Visiting from Finding new friends blog hop...

Have an awesome weekend!

Carolee
Come on home - mom blog
Working at home advice

Julie September 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM  

How fun! I will try this next week! Thanks so much for sharing!

Chloe September 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM  

Great idea!

I'm a new follower from the FNF hop. Hope you can stop by www.mamasmusingsblog.blogspot.com

laughwithusblog September 17, 2011 at 7:33 PM  

HOW fun. My kiddos would love this!

Jansen Family September 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM  

Carolee, I bet your grandkids would love it! It's good for so many ages!

Julie, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Thanks, Chloe!

Esther, We sure had a great time with it!

Carla

Katey Magill September 18, 2011 at 12:12 AM  

A month of fizzy activities sounds like lots of fun. What a great theme!
havingfunathomeblog.blogspot.com

Mom and Kiddo September 20, 2011 at 4:44 AM  

Anything that makes fizzies is definitely fun and entertaining!

maryanne @ mama smiles September 20, 2011 at 8:48 AM  

What a fun way to make sidewalk paint even more fun!

Thanks for linking up =)