Postcard Exchange...I Need You!

Kaia has a wonderful love of new places, people, and cultures.  I'd like to put together a Postcard Exchange to guide us through some geography and culture discussions.  To do this, I'd like to find about a dozen other families who are interested in getting postcards from around the country/world.  

Here's what I picture happening:  About a dozen preschoolers/parents from around the country and world participate.  Each family sends out a postcard to every other participant.  Since we're working with young children and sending a dozen postcards the notes will be very brief...most likely a greeting and a signature.  Perhaps Mom/Dad could add a sentence describing their child's favorite food, game, or activity.  As the postcards from other participants arrive, I plan to help my kiddos find their origins on a map and globe, and then we'll spend a day or two (or more, if we all feel like it!) learning about that area.  We might include customs, landscape, history, language, or whatever else feels important.  I'd like to hang a map on the wall with the postcards around the map and little strings pinpointing their origins.  I think it will be so much fun!!  Are you in?

If you want to join us, please send me an email with your name, address, your child's name, and any other relevant information you want to include.  You can reply to this post, but I would much prefer an email so I can communicate with you directly!!  You can send emails to yes_carla at yahoo.com.  

Thanks so much!! I can't wait to hear from you!!

9 comments:

Kelly September 19, 2011 at 6:26 PM  

Sounds like fun! We did this last year for my 2 older children and we accumulated a post card for almost every state in our country. We made "scrapbook" like pages. Unfortunately, we got a bit behind, so we will be working on doing our 'pages' during this first half of the school year.

Jansen Family September 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM  

Wow, Kelly, I don't plan on doing anywhere near 50, but with that many you would definitely be busy for a while! Scrapbook pages sound like a lot of fun!

Carla

mommyandlu September 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM  

I'd love to do it since we live in Mexico City however Lu might be a bit young for it, she's only 2 and my students are in 5th grade but if it's ok we are in!

Jansen Family September 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

Mommyandlu, I'd love to have you in! I can't see your email on your blog, so please send me an email with your information. You can decide if you'd rather do it with a 2-year old or 5th graders!

Thanks!!
Carla

corabeth September 25, 2011 at 4:24 PM  

New follower from Finding New Friends blog hop! Hoping you follow back!! =0)

My Crazy Life

Jansen Family September 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM  

Thanks for stopping by Corabeth!

Carla

KERRY September 28, 2011 at 6:14 AM  

Hi!! I am following you from the Give A Hoot Blog Hop...
I think this is a wonderful idea, we live in Australia if you're interested. You can email me @ skimcappucino@gmail.com

KERRY September 28, 2011 at 6:28 AM  

Will pop back later to follow...blogger playing up :(

Jansen Family September 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM  

Hi, Kerry! I'd love to have you involved...I'll email you!

Carla