"Listen, Child..."





Listen to the don'ts. 
Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. 
Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... 
Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

--Shel Silverstein

I'm always telling my kids they can do anything.  Sometimes, though, I think they already know!

I thought I'd share some of their adventurous spirit with you today!  In both of the pictures above, they are taking steps they weren't supposed to take by themselves...but they just loved it!  These are from our trip to Utah this last summer, as we hiked to the Grotto on Mt. Loafer.  

Here's the actual Grotto:  


It's a beautiful place, and it was a great hike for the kids to explore a little more of themselves.  Of course, if any kids came pre-programmed to want some adventure, it was these two!

5 comments:

Vivian October 11, 2011 at 12:50 AM  

I'm going to check that place out. Never heard of it but it looks like a great place to take the kids!

MaryAnne October 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM  

Great pictures!

I hiked Mt Loafer as a kid, but never saw the Grotto. Guess I need to take my kids there - my grandma lives only a few miles away!

Jansen Family October 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM  

Vivian, It's a wonderful place...I'm sure your kids would love it!

MaryAnne, The trailhead is not quite as far up Payson Canyon as the trailhead for Mt Loafer Summit. It's shortly after the Bennie Creek Trailhead, and marked with a sign that says something about Grotto Trailhead. And seriously, it's the perfect hike for kids! Adventures, water, hills, and a cave-like grotto--all in about 1/4 mile! I'd recommend it to anyone who lives in that area!

Carla

Amber@Nater Tot October 12, 2011 at 6:57 AM  

Oh that looks beautiful! I always feel badly when I tell Nate that he can't do certain adventurous things - he has an adventurous spirit too :) I don't want to snuff that flame out. But I don't want him jumping off of dangerously high places either! Always compromising...

Jansen Family October 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM  

Amber, the compromises are so important! Explore...safe...explore...safe...it's such a conundrum!

Carla