Soccer Begins


Kaia started soccer two weeks ago through our local YMCA.  She was very excited about it and even had a lot of fun buying shin guards and socks (she has the pink socks in the picture)!  She has admitted to not wanting to charge in the middle of a group of kids when everyone is clustered around the ball, but she has already managed to get a few good kicks in when the ball flies away from the main group--she is a fast runner!

I really like how it is set up for 3-4 year olds:  they only meet on Saturdays.  The first 20-30 minutes is practice time and the next 30 minutes is a game.  The teams are big enough that each kid usually sits out 1-2 quarters during the game.  At first I was annoyed by that, but now I think it might actually be a good thing--60 minutes is a long time for a 3- or 4- year old to run around a hot field!

Kaia has moments when she seems a little unsure of where to go or what to do.  Last year she absolutely loved her gymnastics class at The Little Gym, but it took a few weeks to get accustomed to.  I suspect that in another week or two she'll have a better idea of what's going on here as well!  Until then, at least she's having fun, being active, and getting a few good kicks in each day!

9 comments:

Sarah October 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM  

How fun. Cute shot. I want to sign Dustyn up next year.

laughwithusblog October 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM  

Looks like fun! We always said we were going to put our kids in soccer, but never did. We finally got them in Karate this year. It was the most affordable sport we could find.

Jansen Family October 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM  

Sarah, She really seems to like it! She even announced that soccer is her favorite game!

Esther, I think Karate is awesome!

Carla

Natalie October 10, 2011 at 9:44 AM  

My nephew just started soccer and has slept in his cleats for a week now.

Lindsay October 10, 2011 at 7:30 PM  

How exciting for her! I would love for my son to get into sports, too.

Jansen Family October 10, 2011 at 10:41 PM  

lol, Natalie! Kaia still uses her "running shoes!"

Lindsay, This is the first team sport she's done, and I think the timing was just right for her. It's been very positive so far!

Carla

About JollyJilly October 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM  

hi im a new follower from the blog hop
really enjoyed your blog and would love it if you could visit me anytime
www.jollyjillys.blogspot.com

Megan October 11, 2011 at 12:32 PM  

Hi,
I'm a new follow from A Tuesday blog hop. I love hopping to find new blogs to read. Please stop by and follow me to... http://realadventuresfromamomof3.blogspot.com/

Jansen Family October 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM  

Thanks for stopping by, JollyJilly and Megan! Hope to see you around!

Carla