Wheat/White Bread/Rolls Recipe



I just love the smell of fresh bread!  I love eating it while it's still warm enough to melt the butter I smear on it.  And I love finding a new recipe that I can use!

Last week, I came across this recipe for Amish White Loaf Bread on Fake-It Frugal.  I like to use wheat when possible and I like to cook more than two loaves at a time.  Few things are more frustrating to me than taking the time to make bread by hand and watching it disappear within a few hours.  Yeah, bread is popular around here!  So, I made a few changes and came up with the following (absolutely delicious) recipe:

1.  Pour 4 cups warm water over 3 Tablespoons yeast (4 packets) and 1-1/3 cups sugar.  Use a very big glass bowl.  Let it sit for about 10 minutes, until it is nice and bubbly.

2. Add 1 Tablespoon salt, 1/2 cup oil, and 5 cups whole wheat flour.  Stir gently.  



3.  Continue stirring in the rest of the flour--about 8 cups white flour.  The amount of flour varies a little every time.  When the dough is too thick to stir, knead it until it holds together in a nice ball.  Knead for an additional 10 minutes.  

4.  Cover the bowl with saran wrap sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Then, cover the saran wrap with a cloth towel.  Let it sit and rise until it doubles.

5.  Punch out all aggression and anger you have built up from the last time you made bread.  



6.  Knead a few times, then divide the dough into four sections.  We used three to make loaves of bread.  I divided the fourth into four more pieces and gave one to each of my kiddos to make "crazy rolls."  Sometimes the crazy rolls look like normal rolls, sometimes they look like narwhal horns, and sometimes they look like ducks.  It's all very fun.  I ended up making most of Harry's into normal rolls while the other kids shaped theirs own.  Make sure you grease your pans. 



7.  Once your bread is in the pans, cover each loaf/pan with greased saran wrap and a cloth.  Let it raise again until it doubles.  Bake in the over at 350 degrees until it's a beautiful, soft brown--about 20-30 minutes.  Remove the bread from the pans and place on a cooling rack, but don't cut the bread until it sits for at least 20 minutes.  Smear/brush butter over the tops of the bread while you wait. 

8.  Eat and be happy.

4 comments:

Alicia@ Mommy Delicious October 14, 2011 at 12:03 AM  

I absolutely LOVE when fresh bread is still warm. It sort of melts in my mouth and it tastes like a little piece of HEAVEN. Gosh... my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Yum! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

MaryAnne October 14, 2011 at 6:40 AM  

This sounds a lot like the bread my mom made growing up. SO delicious!

laughwithusblog October 15, 2011 at 8:32 AM  

Your loaves look beautiful. I do all my bread in the breadmaker! :) How fun to be able to punch down the dough!

Jansen Family October 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

Alicia, Me too! Me too! Everything is better when you have fresh bread!

MaryAnne, It's very similar to my mom's recipe too--I really love a simple recipe!

Thanks, Esther! I can certainly see the appeal of a breadmaker, but I do love to punch the dough!

Carla