A Leaf Book

The Houston Zoo has a trading post where kids can trade in nature-related items for points.  They redeem the points for other nature items in the shop.  Kaia wanted a chunk of purple amethyst--I'll admit, it was a pretty cool rock!  We talked about different things she could collect or make for points and she decided she wanted to make a leaf book.  

"A Leaf Book"





She chose the leaves, did all the writing, and drew all the pictures.  It was a lot of work, but she could tell you quite a bit about crape myrtles, roses, and poinsettias!  I think she enjoyed telling the "zoo lady" about each plant, and she certainly enjoyed all the attention she earned for it!  The ladies were quite impressed quite impressed with all her 4-year old explanations!  The final point analysis, however, was about 1/3 the cost of the amethyst.  She had the option of saving the points, but found a different "beautiful, sparkly rock" -- pink muscovite!

She took her leaf book to the zoo around the beginning of December.  Lately, she's started talking about doing another project.  She also asked me if there was anywhere she could buy some purple amethyst!  

4 comments:

Kajal February 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM  

wow! the book looks awesome! For all the hard work the hun has done... she deserves more than the purple amethyst :)

your newest follower from the hop. you can find me at http://purplechronicle.blogspot.com/

Jansen Family February 3, 2012 at 6:30 AM  

I thought something similar, but she was pretty happy with the sparkly muscovite! Thanks for stopping by!

Carla

The Shepherd family February 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM  

I could see Marian doing the same thing. I love how "go get it" she is! I think we were both that way when we were little ;o)

Jansen Family February 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM  

I know...I totally love it!
Weren't we going to be president or something at, like, 20? lol...I wouldn't want that job now in a million years!

Carla