Word-full Wednesday: Surfside Half Marathon

We ran a half marathon last Saturday!  That's 13.1 miles!  It was a big deal, and we'd been looking forward to it for months, but when the day actually came I really questioned my sanity.


Surfside Beach, Site of Surfside Marathon
We've run half marathons before, but this was the farthest I've run since the fall of 2009 (when I was 1 1/2 months pregnant with Harry).  I tried to get back into running after Harry was born, but for one reason or another I never stayed with it.  So, last summer I signed both Jon and I up for the Surfside Half Marathon.  I figured we'd have about six months to get ready for it, and we'd have the extra motivation (read: money already spent to enroll in the run) to stick with the training.  And then, after months of training, I imagined we would have a wonderful run on the beach:  nice weather, soothing ocean, shore birds and other distractions, and (of course) my best friend and favorite man in the world to run with.  Meanwhile, the kids would play happily on the beach, find seashells, and perhaps watch some cartoons in the little beach hotel.

In reality, a horrible storm settled on the beach Friday night.  Just after we picked up our race packet, the organizers announced we would be starting 30 minutes later.  Runs like this don't get delayed for rain; they get delayed for lightning.  We ended up starting about 90 minutes later than planned.  The weather seemed nice, but soon changed.  During the next couple hours, we ran through rain, lightning, and wind strong enough that the rain felt like hail.  The normally hard-packed sand sank with almost every step, and several spots had turned into river-like gullies where the rainwater rushed to the ocean.  More than once, I thought about quitting, but this run had come to mean a lot to me.  It represented recovering from my last pregnancy.  It meant that my body could do cool things that weren't related to having children.  I do think that having children is cool, too, I just wanted something else for me.  I may not be quite back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but if I could run a half-marathon I would feel decently human again.

After making it through that run (and having a few days for the lactic acid to clear out of my legs!) I feel Super Human!  It's little things like this that make me feel like I can do anything, even if my daily "Clark Kent" costume is made up of blocks, cars, princesses, dishes, laundry, and runny noses.  Secretly (well, maybe not so secretly because I'm putting it on here), I can run a half marathon in horrendous weather!

The weather did finally clear up for the last four miles, and the kids were able to go outside for a few minutes! I also loved the barbecue party afterwards!  We were very grateful to Grandma for watching the kids while we ran.  One of our favorite parts was when we ran past the hotel and saw them all waving at us!

Another "highlight," or at least something I constantly reflected on, was something Kaia had said as they dropped us off at the race start.  She looked out the window and said, "It might be a lot of work for you guys to run in all this rain, but you can do it!  

Sadly, late in the morning a cold seemed to settle on Kaia.  Harry and several of our friends had already had it, and I was hoping she wouldn't, but by the end of the run she just wanted to rest in the car.  Now, we're planning another trip to the beach for a time when everyone feels well and the weather will let us play a bit!

And this was going to be a Wordless Wednesday post...ha!  I'll have to fix that!

6 comments:

Aliesha February 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM  

You are an awe inspiring woman!!! Way To GO!!!

Skye February 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM  

Half marathon?! WOW! Good for you. I don't think I could run a half of a block! LOL Sorry you had bad weather at the beach :(

Jansen Family February 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM  

Thanks, Aliesha!

Aw, Skye, if I can, you could too...especially if you spent 6 months getting ready for it! ;)

Carla

Carolyn March 2, 2012 at 10:03 PM  

You guys are amazing!! What a great event and triumph!!

Jansen Family March 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM  

Thanks, Mom!

Hirsita Dixit March 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.