Wordless Wednesday: CAR


 
 




A few notes:  
(I know, someday I'll have a "Wordless Wednesday" that really is wordless!)

* Harry began making car sounds almost a whole year before he began talking.  Anytime he gets in the car 30 seconds before I buckle him, he races to the front seat and starts "driving."

* This car is almost three decades old.  It is solid metal.  The steering wheel really steers, and the feet really pedal!

* We have it for sentimental reasons.  My husband has memories of driving it as a preschooler.  His uncle saved it for some time, and then he passed it on to us the summer after we married.

* I was not expecting my baby to drive it!  The car was sitting in the back of the garage when Harry spotted it.  He ran to it, yelling, "Car! Car! Car!"  He climbed in and tried to maneuver it around the garage.  Finally he called out, "Stuck!  Car!  Stuck!" in a pained and "I did the best I could" voice.  I lifted it out for him.

* He drove it around for well over half an hour, completely thrilled.  (In Harry's world, that might as well be eternity.)  After I had the camera out, he would occasionally look up and say, "Cheeeeeeese!" 

* He asks me to get it out for him frequently now.  When he says, "Peeeease!" and rubs his shirt (the sign for "Please") at the same time, I just have to help him.  He can be quite the charmer!

Update:  A Little More Info:
(Because maybe someday I'll print off this blog and it will be like a little family history scrapbook...wouldn't that be cool!)

During the last few days I've learned a few more things about this car and thought I should update this post!   It turns out that the car is over three decades old!  Jon's mom bought it used when Jon was little.  Their family loved it and then passed it on to their cousins, who also drove it a ton!  Their dad, Jon's uncle replaced the steering wheel and repainted it.  He also stored it until the summer after we married.

3 comments:

Nicki May 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM  

Oh my God! I LOVE that you have that car and that your son plays with it! Those were the toy cars we had as kids (and by "we" I mean "everybody EXCEPT me because I never had "the cool toys"). So proud of you for keeping this car alive and letting your son appreciate stuff like this!!!

Jansen Family May 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM  

Nicki, I totally agree! This car is way more intense than all the other plastic ones we have! and Harry totally loves it!!

Carolyn July 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM  

How wonderful to have a memory and toy preserved like that! That car and Harry are so cute. Thanks for sharing!