It's A Wrap!! (11-16-12)

Hammock Tracks totally inspired me today to write a weekly "wrap-up" post.  I've been so busy, and I sometimes feel like I can't post our current stuff until our old stuff is caught up.  But, after visiting Hammock Tracks, I decided that I can do a weekly wrap up and still work on getting our trip to Phoenix and our Halloween posts up as we go along!  So, this weekly wrap up might be about a novel long, but we've had a good week!

Today we made resist paintings using oak leaves.  I taped the leaf onto sketch paper and they painted the whole page.  When we removed the leaf, it left a white spot on their painting. This picture was from pretty early in the process!  We've had a lot of fun talking about oak trees and gathering acorns during the last two weeks!


Our outdoor adventures have been limited to late morning and late afternoon...Kaia and I just prefer to wait until it's well over 50 degrees before we play outside! Her favorite spot lately is on top of the monkey bars, and Harry has started loving swinging all the way across the monkey bars!  He is (finally) waiting to make sure that I am underneath him before he begins now!  We also got rid of the baby swing this week...oops!  No picture!  We switched the swing out for a normal one...and put the baby swing in the garage for a while.


Our Romaine Lettuce is perfectly ripe this week!  We enjoyed picking it for a few days, and then designated one plant to "make seeds" while picking the rest for home-made lettuce pesto (seriously amazing stuff!).  

Harry is growing six molars right now and has decided that he has enough teeth to chew lettuce!  Yay!! I'm not sure if he's more excited about it or me!


We've also seen some interesting bugs this week.  My kids are a little obsessed with bugs (okay, I am too!), and they've enjoyed watching "giant wasps" and "green ladybugs" (actually cucumber beetles) come and go.   

Kaia's been very upset at the cold weather for driving all her ladybug friends into hibernation!


Our "inside time" during these frigid mornings (we've seen 40 degrees many times this week!) has been fun too.  "Restaurant" and "picnics" have been very popular:


We've played games, made marching bands, and built "robots."  Harry spends a lot of time getting rid of "bad dragons," but he is rarely an arms reach away from his cars. He has a bus that he likes to sleep with at nap time too!



We've been doing art projects 2-3 times a week.  On Tuesday, we were going to make Turkey Hands, but the kids had so much fun finger- (and hand-) painting that I let them decorate their own hands however they wanted!


We added some scarecrows to make our decorations a little more Thanksgiving-y, 

and have spent a lot of time talking about being thankful and kind.  Kindness was a theme that I felt inspired to focus on this week, and I think we have seen a lot of good things because of it.  On Monday, we introduced the word, talked about what it meant, and learned "The Kindness Song:"

I want to be kind to everyone, for that is right you see.
So I say to myself, "Remember this: Kindness begins with me!"

During the week, it has given us a new slant to talk about behavior too:  "That was a very kind thing to do!  Thank you for being kind!"  or "Uh oh.  Was that kind?  What should you do now?"  I like how it's becoming part of our vocabulary (especially for the boys!).  

We've also spent some time talking about the pilgrims.  Kaia can read this little pilgrim mini book pretty easily, and enjoys the sequence of events in it:


In math (Right Start Mathematics), she's been working on partitioning, or breaking numbers apart.  She's getting very good at it, and at writing her numbers...though some still come out backwards!


We've also had a really positive experience reading the book "Ish" and talking about the dilemma Ramon faces because it is the exact same one she has been feeling: she wants to draw pictures, but they don't turn out as good as she wants them to.  I, of course, think she is a marvelous little artist, but she was very stressed out about not being able to draw a pony the right way.  This book has really helped re-build her confidence, though, and we are starting to see more of her artwork popping up...yay!!  Today, she sounded out the word "choo choo," and then I drew a train to go with her little sound effects.  She told me she would draw a "real train," and this is what she made: 


Check out the engine with a smokestack, the "toys and dolls" car, the food car, and the sleeping car!  Yeah, I love it when she draws!

I just love these guys!!  They are so full of energy and love that being around them is invigorating...


...even when they pull stunts like this! 


 Well, that's my big wrap up post!  Literally!  There's so much more I could talk about, but at least some of it is recorded!  Hopefully, I can start keeping up better soon!!




4 comments:

Lisa November 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM  

What an awesome week! Wow! I love all of the fun, hands-on learning that your children are doing. That is an education and memories that they will cherish for a lifetime. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments. Hope you have a wonderful rest of your weekend! :-)

Jansen Family November 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM  

Thanks, Lisa! It has been a fabulous week--hope you guys enjoyed your weekend!!

Carla

Savannah McQueen November 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM  

"A little obsessed with bugs!," I love it! Thanks for linking up last week and I hope you'll return tomorrow. Also, please consider taking part in my weekly feature, "Who Home Schools?" If you are interested please send me an email.

Jansen Family February 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM  

lol..."a little obsessed" is putting it lightly!