Black Bean Quinoa Burgers!!


Yes, you read that right: Black Bean Quinoa Burgers!  I'm not trying to replace a good ole' hamburger, but I do like beans and quinoa and new food, and I saw this post for Red Bean Veggie Burgers, and I wanted one.  I didn't have the right ingredients for her recipe, so I made a few changes...and loved it.  We had them for lunch...I loved them and the kids ate them without complaining, so I decided it was worth saving the recipe.  Here it is:


Black Bean Quinoa Burgers

* 1 15 ounce can black beans 
* 2/3 cup uncooked Quinoa + 2 1/2 cup water
* 3 eggs  (I actually used powdered eggs...something about Easter and me losing track of how many un-cooked eggs were in the fridge...)
* 3/4 cup bread crumbs
* 2-3 tablespoons minced dried onions
* 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 1-3 teaspoons cumin
* dash of salt, pepper, and seasoned salt

1- Cook the quinoa by placing it in a big pot with the water and boiling the water.  When the water is boiling, place a lid on the pot and turn it to low.

2- While the quinoa finishes cooking, dump the beans into a big bowl and mash them.  I had lots of 2-year old help for this part.  We practiced counting to five and passing the bowl to the next child to mash!

3- Add the eggs, onions, and other spices. 

4- Check on your quinoa.  If the water is all gone, the quinoa is done (about 20 minutes total).  Stir it in to your bean goop. Make sure everything is mixed well.  Use your hands if necessary. (yuck!)

5- Warm a frying pan to medium heat, spray with cooking oil, and cook up some patties!  I used a measuring cup to scoop out some goop and smear it into a patty shape--I felt like I was cooking very thick pancakes.  It took about two minutes on each side.

6- I served on whole wheat bread with mayo, ketchup, cheese, tomatoes, and a cabbage leaf.  The cabbage instead of lettuce is another story.  None of the kids wanted it today, but I did.  

To help my kiddos eat such a funny looking burger, I made the sandwiches for them (they usually get to help assemble sandwiches), and no one complained.  I really liked the flavor, so it will probably happen again!  I called them Quinoa Burgers because one of our little friends thinks he doesn't like beans, but he doesn't know what quinoa is.  Anyways, he liked these, so I was happy about that!

0 comments: