Garlic and Onion Biscuits Recipe

This is the first time I've cooked garlic and onion biscuits and they turned out so, so yummy that I had to post it so I could make it again!  (Random recipes on papers floating around my kitchen keep getting lost...)


I've been experimenting with breads that have no sugar in them.  Biscuits seemed like a safer place to start than other recipes, though I did use white flour to help with the texture.  Plus...these are perfect for biscuits and gravy!!

Ingredients:

4 cups flour
8 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
2 eggs
about 1 1/3 cup water
2 huge cloves of garlic, crushed (about 2 1/2 tablespoons)
1/2 large onion, chopped
about 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese

Mix all the ingredients together and knead a few times.  Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick and use the back of a butter knife to cut 24 "rolls."  Cook at 450 degrees for 9 minutes.  Like any baking powder biscuit, do not overcook!

This recipe was born from...
1- a need to make biscuits without sugar...the original recipe I used did not have the last three ingredients, used milk instead of water, and called for 1/4 cup sugar.  Our family has had some interesting sugar restrictions lately, so I needed to make some changes.  Normally, I'd use almond milk, but we ran out and I don't like running to the store for one thing.  :)

2- a love of garlic and onion flavored stuff!  Swapping the sweet for savory was a natural move!

So, let me know if you try it!!  We're serving ours with mashed potatoes and gravy...if I can get everyone to leave the biscuits alone for ten more minutes!!

0 comments: